- Client: Landesbetrieb Immobilienmanagement und Grundvermögen
(Federal state-owned property management company)
- Lengths of building: c. 20 m
- UNESCO World Heritage site
- Historic quay walls: listed building
- Repair works in restricted space conditions in the tidal area
- Time: 2017 - 2018
Building costs: c. 0.55 mill. EUR
- Our scope:
civil and structural engineering
Continuing to tell the story of the Speicherstadt.
Warehouse D6 is part of Hamburg’s Speicherstadt (English: warehouse district), a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It has experienced a turbulent past. The warehouse building with its quay wall was built around 1888 and for a long time was a part of the free port, where goods and commodities were sold and stored. In the Second World War, Warehouse D6 was totally destroyed apart from parts of its foundations. It was rebuilt in 1956.
The original construction of the warehouse consisted of a brick-faced reinforced concrete angled retaining wall, bedded onto reinforced concrete piles. Since its rebuilding, time has left its mark on the reinforced concrete components and the brickwork.
Extensive inspections have been carried out on the existing structure, and these show that the core of the foundation is in good condition. The damaged components of the building will be repaired in extremely confined working conditions in the tidal area. In addition the reinforced concrete angled retaining wall will be anchored with micro-piles for future loads.
Thus strengthened, the warehouse will be able to resist environmental influences and continue to tell the story of the Speicherstadt.
© BIN, Piet Niemann / BIN, Piet Niemann, Piet Niemann