Car Park Speicherstadt
- Client: Hamburger Hafen- und Lagerhaus AG
- Architect: gmp Architekten
- 8 upper floors, 2 basements
- Parking spaces: 815
- semi-precast construction system on existing timber pile foundation and existing quay wall
- GFA: c. 26,500 m²
- Time: 2003 – 2004
Building costs: 8 mill. EUR
- Our scope:
New building with old-style charm.
The Speicherstadt, Hamburg’s “warehouse district”, was formerly part of the city’s free port where goods and commodities were traded and stored. Warehouse building “Kaispeicher O” was built around 1885 and counts as one of the oldest buildings in the district.
Because rebuilding turned out to be impossible to implement, the old “Kaispeicher O” was replaced by an eight-storey car park. A special challenge was to develop and execute a design concept that appropriately integrated the new structure into the Speicherstadt. Parts of the old existing timber pile foundations were incorporated into the structural concept for the new building. The rear facade was set down on the old quay wall. The core element of the chosen constructional principle of the new building is the use of semi-finished components with the addition of cast-in-place concrete.
A brickwork facade, which recalls the appearance of the historic warehouse, envelops the new construction. Further historic elements such as loading bays, brick latticework and winding houses were incorporated.
A new construction with charm has come into being, that is in harmony with the ensemble of the Speicherstadt.
© Thomas Robbin, BIN, BIN, Thomas Robbin